Create Lots of Volume!
Luckily, restoring a dark lash line and adding thickness and curl wont just give you the appearance of fuller lashesbut it will also open and lift the eye tremendously. Follow this simple how-to from celebrity makeup artist Mally.
- Start by curling the top lashes. (If you dont do it, you might as well not wear mascara at all, she says.) The trick is to do it carefully, so you dont tug lashes or damage the hair follicle. No repeated pulses; just squeeze once at the base and hold for a few seconds. TRY: Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler ($21; shuuemura-usa.com).
- Dot black eye pencil between lashes, applying from underneath. Then blend it with a liner brush.
- Smush your mascara wand right in your lash base, wiggle it a few times slowly, then pull it through, lifting it up and toward your nose. This simple trick will make your eyes look more open.
- Next, hold the wand vertically and gently skim it across your lashes in a windshield-wiper motion. This fans them out and gets rid of any clumps on the tips.
- Mascara on your bottom lashes finishes the look, so hold the brush vertically and lightly paint each lash. That way, it wont smudge. If you suffer from dark circles, though, you might want to skip this stepplaying up your lower lashes could just draw attention to any undereye shadows. And if you happen to smudge by mistake, just use a small, flat makeup brush with a tiny bit of foundation to blend it away, says celebrity makeup artist Pati Dubroff.
TRY: The Best Big-Volume Mascaras!
Almost every makeup artist we talked to recommended using black mascara to help eyes stand out. Whats more: The fewer the coats, the less weight youll put on delicate lashes, keeping them strong and healthy. A few of our favorites:
- L'Oréal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara ($7; 7yearsyounger.com/shop)
- Maybelline New York Volum'Express The Falsies Big Eyes Mascara ($8.69; 7yearsyounger.com/shop)
- CoverGirl Bombshell Volume Mascara by Lashblast ($9.59; drugstores.com)